Have I mentioned before how worried I am about Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol? I?m worried that it?s going to suck, sure, but I?m also worried that it won?t actually be bad and that Jeremy Renner will have to come back and play second fiddle to Tom Cruise again. If I see this movie at all, it will be for Renner. Anyway, above is a new, just-released promotional image from the film. Ordinarily, I would only fill up an entire post with my musings on a promotional image if that image involved Michael Fassbender and some kind of sex act. But after I stared at this photo for a full minute, I finally put my finger on what was bothering me.
Tom is no longer an A-list movie star. That ship has sailed, but Tom still has enough friends in the industry that he?s allowed to keep working on big projects. Sure, he?s been given higher-profile costars (like Cameron Diaz in Knight & Day, and Renner in this film), but the bulk of these films still rest on Tom. It?s like Hollywood is giving him enough rope to hang himself, and he keeps bombing, and Hollywood keeps trying.
Why do I bring this up? This promotional image has come out AFTER the first trailer was released, and I?m struggling to understand why, what purpose this image has other than inducing eye-rolls. My guess is that this image was a contender for the poster, and might still be in contention for a poster. Look at how ridiculous the image is - the cartoon-like flames behind Tom, the surreal, Photoshopped quality to his face, the shadowy, smoky lighting that is aiming for ?evocative? and ends up being ?a Xenu fog?.
So, now that I?ve nit-picked for too long, let me tell you what?s bothering me: this film should not be about Tom Cruise/Ethan Hunt. The deal was originally that Jeremy Renner was being brought in to take over the MI franchise, if this film went well. Instead of putting Jeremy front and center in the trailer and promotional images thus far, it looks like Hollywood is once again going to make this about Tom and whether he?s still a movie star. Dear Hollywood: He?s not a movie star anymore. Bring on Renner.
Crap. I forgot about Josh Holloway. Sh-t, I?m so seeing this movie, Xenu or no Xenu.
Photos courtesy of WENN.
Source: http://www.celebitchy.com/173780/tom_cruise_the_problem_with_the_mission_impossible_xenu_fog/
celebrity look a like celebrity diets celebrity clothes celebrity cars celebrity haircuts
No comments:
Post a Comment